Chain Bridge is one of seven bridges that span the Danube River as it flows through Budapest. Opened in 1849, it was the first permanent bridge that replaced ferries and pontoon bridges.
The bridge was destroyed by the Nazis in WWII, rebuilt in its original form, widened and reopened in 1949. The lighting and graceful curves of the suspension cables makes it a “must see” at night. Castle Hill is lit in the background.
This shot was taken from the top deck of our boat that was docked about a block from the bridge. This Christmas-lighting effect is visible every night of the year.
Thought for the Day: In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present. Francis Bacon